Obama Center Subcontractor Files $40 Million Discrimination Lawsuit Against Managing Firm

A Chicago-based subcontractor is suing one of the firms managing the construction of the Obama Presidential Center for $40 million, alleging that racially discriminatory practices forced it to take on extra work, pushing the company to the brink of bankruptcy.

Fox News reports that Robert McGee, owner of II in One, which has provided concrete and rebar services for the project since 2021, filed the lawsuit in federal court last month against New York-based Thornton Tomasetti. The company is responsible for structural engineering and design services for the $830 million center, according to the suit.

McGee claims that Thornton Tomasetti altered standards and imposed new requirements for rebar spacing and tolerance that deviated from American Concrete Institute guidelines. These changes, he argues, led to “excessively rigorous and unnecessary inspection,” resulting in significant cost overruns.

However, nearly a year ago, Thornton Tomasetti defended its actions, stating in a memo related to the lawsuit that the subcontractors were “questionably qualified” and that the delays were a result of their own deficiencies, Fox reported.

The Obama Presidential Center is being built near Jackson Park in Chicago and will include a museum, library, and community and conference facilities. The center will also house the nonprofit Obama Foundation, which is managing the development and runs a scholarship program through the University of Chicago’s Harris School of Public Policy.

Related Posts

Fmr GOP Lawmaker Linked To Shooter In Minn. Catholic School Tragedy

The shooter who opened fire on a Catholic school Mass in Minneapolis on Wednesday morning has a connection to a former Republican lawmaker. The gunman, identified as…

Rosie O’Donnell said Trump is “the worst thing to ever happen to the USA”

Rosie O’Donnell on Donald Trump: “Well he is a cruel, criminal and mentally unstable man. I think he’s the worst thing to ever happen to the United…

DeSantis Defies Obama Judge Over ‘Alligator Alcatraz’ Shutdown

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has vowed to resist a federal judge’s order shutting down the controversial detention facility nicknamed “Alligator Alcatraz.” The facility has been a hub…

Minn. Catholic Leaders Previously Warned Tim Walz On School Safety: Letter

The leader of the Minnesota Catholic Conference stated that Catholic and other nonpublic schools were in “urgent and critical need” of security upgrades in a letter that…

Trump Says He’s Confident Mike Johnson Will Remain Speaker

President-elect Donald Trump told Fox News Digital that House Speaker Mike Johnson will “easily remain speaker” in the next Congress if he “acts decisively and tough” and…

Comer: Biden Mental Decline Probe Could Overturn Pardons, Executive Orders

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer says his investigation into Joe Biden’s mental decline could be used to challenge some of the former president’s pardons and executive…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *